1997 was Brookside's sixteenth year of production. Major storylines included [to be added].
- 2nd April - Mick Johnson and Elaine Davies marry.
- 4th April - Suzannah Farnham crashes her car into the side of another car, sending her son Matthew through the windshield. Her daughter Emily is knocked unconscious in the back seat.
- 7th April - Matthew Farnham dies from his injuries sustained in the car accident.
- 8th April - Emily Farnham dies from her injuries sustained in the car accident, the day after her brother Matthew died.
- 1st July - Gladys Charlton, being terminally-ill with cancer, asks her daughter Elaine and Mick Johnson to help her die. Mick kills her by smothering her with a pillow. The event sparked controversy and the show was attacked by doctors and cancer charities.
- 8th July - Jackie Corkhill gives birth to her and Jimmy Corkhill's son, William.
- 25th July - Christian Wright and Rachel Jordache marry.
Real life eventsEdit
|←1996 1997 1998→|